Sunday 12 November 2017

Black Girl Magic

   The idea of Afros take us futher back in time to the 70s, 80s when everyone was wearing 'Fela' trousers and sporting Afros with a wooden brown Afro comb somewhere in it for special effect.
  But as society evolved, so did style and fashion. Relaxers came into the picture, and the stress of wiry natural hair suddenly became overbearing and tiring. The picture on the cardboard box of relaxers were appealing to the eye, 'For soft black hair.' Men reduced their Afros to different styles and shapes, and women relaxed their hair, and straightened it out so it would like that of the cardboard box women. Suddenly though, only a few years ago... Girls were cutting their hair and starting all over again, saying they want to grow out their natural hair. Some people say its because natural hair is just beautiful, others say it's because it's cheaper than buying attachments and all that but actually, managing natural hair is actually more expensive. Saloons charge higher for kinky natural hair and prices of natural hair products could make you go... 'Wau'
So I asked around to find out what this natural hair thing is about, because I too have been caught up in this 'Black Girl Magic Jazz' natural hair biznez. There's this one person I know, her hair is beautiful, she's beautiful too and so I asked her.
I spotted her out through her videos on Instagram and YouTube and decided to send a DM asking a few questions. She willingly obliged.
JOB : Tell me about your natural hair journey..
Julz Onuk : My natural hair journey is quite a history on its own.. I've had three different big chops. I've been growing out my natural hair since 2014... I mistakenly used a texturizer... I didn't know what it was.. I washed it out and my hair looked so relaxed, I cried... 2017...dye really destroyed my hair a lot..
She explains with a soft laugh what the idea of natural hair is like for her.
'Natural hair means a lot of things.. A lot of things.. A lot of things.. Natural hair means a lot of things to me.' She actually repeated 'a lot of things' this many times, for emphasis maybe.
The fact that she can 'style my hair in whatever hair I want.' is one of the reason she has decided to take up the 'stress' to grow out her 'curls'.
But why deal with the stress?
'I can't relax my hair for anything, it could be very stubborn but when you love it... It's like your child.. You do what you can to tame it.'
Another Naturalista I know that always complained about how terrible her hair is, after asking only recently says she won't relax her for anything, something that started out as a religious and family opinion has become something beautiful for her.
Julz Onuk is a YouTube vlogger, she enjoys making videos as it a way of 'expressing myself ' and she also enjoys letting the world know how she takes care of her hair.
Also, she just loves making videos.
She uses the HAIR WONDER line of hair care products as it 'gives my hair meaning.'
Here's a link to her YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCipMmtYybHADo77m86lD0mw
Here's Debbie Ayangha's special hair care secret.. The BANANA MASK
• Two Unpeeled Bananas
• 1 TSB of Honey
• 1 TSB of Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 TSB of Olive Oil
• 1 TSB of Coconut Oil
• 2 Raw Eggs
•Mix well, apply and massage in... Cover hair with shower cap, leave in for 30 minutes and then wash it out.
Or you could just use Shea Butter and Coconut Oil like I used to do(before I cut my hair for the third time in 2 years) not a friendly smell sha but it does good for the hair. You could add artificial scents if you want to.
For some people it's something religious, for some it's just something they find pretty, for some... It's just hair and no big deal. While for some others, it's more than just hair hence the videos, blog, posts, Julz Onuk and the Kinky Apothecary.. ❤
- Are you natural? What's it like for you? Feel free to tell, comment and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Written In Haste With Sweaty Palms

She was an emotional, manipulative yet loyal, angry and hungry poet with trust issues and a sense of humour she didn't know about. Her p...